Sunrise over the Shivasagar Tank (Borpukhuri) | Sivasagar ("the ocean of Lord Shiva"), is a historical town located in Assam. It is well known and famous for its Ahom palaces and monuments. Sivasagar, formerly known as Rangpur, was the capital of the Ahom Kingdom from 1699 to 1788.
Night View of Sivasagar Tank A night view of Barpukhuri (Sivasagar) and Shivadol Temple.
Joydol This temple is popularly known as the Kesavanarayan or Joydol Temple. Joydol was built during the reign of Ahom king Rudra Singha (AD 1696-14) and dedicated to Hindu God Lord Vishnu. It stands on the northeastern corner of northern bank of the Joysagar tank which was excavated in memory of his mother Joymati.
Jayasagar tank was excavated by Tai-Ahom king Rudrasimha (A.D. 1696-1714) to commemorate his mother's name Jaymati, wife of Gadapani later King Gadadharsimha(A.D. 1681-1695).
Rang Ghar is one of the oldest amphitheaters in World. This amphitheaters was constructed during the reign of Swargadeo Pramatta Singha in AD 1744-1750. Rang Ghar is a two-storied building which once served as the royal sports-pavilion where Ahom kings.
Rang Ghar Interiro. Beautiful architecture of Rang Ghar.
Kareng Ghar is the example of, one of the grandest examples of Ahom architecture. This beautiful palace was constructed were commissioned by Swargadeo (king) Rudra Singha in AD 1698.
Kareng Ghar Chambers
Kareng Ghar Interior
Talatal Ghar, the multistoryed palace was built by Ahom King Rajeshwar Singha (Ad 1751-69).
The Talatal Ghar was initially built & used as an army base. The Talatal Ghar had two secret underground tunnels. One, about 3 kilometres in length, connected the Talatal Ghar to the Dikhow River, while the other, 16 kilometres long, led to the Garhgaon Palace, and was used as an escape route in case of an enemy attack.
An octogonal temple, cells resembling Assamese type huts and in the ground floor there are several enclosed chambers and some portion of which is kept as stylobate.
Chambers of Talatal Ghar. From east to west, several rooms run along a long corridor; and from north to south are numerous smaller wings.
The arched door openings are resembled with those of the Mughal architecture. The significant structural features of the monument are its long open terrace with several annexes. The ground floor served as stables, store rooms, and servants' quarters.
Charaideo was the first capital of the Ahom kingdom established by the first Ahom king "Chao Lung Siu-Ka-Pha" in 1228 situated in Sibsagar district of Assam. Charaideo contains sacred burial grounds of Ahom kings and queens and is also the place of ancestral Gods of the Ahoms.
The Maidam (tombs) of Ahom kings and queens at Charaideo hillocks are comparable to the Pyramids of Egypt and are objects of wonder revealing the excellent architecture and skill of the sculptors and masons of Assam of the medieval days.
The actual number of Maidam has exceeded 150 but only 30 Maidams are protected by the Archeological Survey of India and Assam State Archeology Department, and the remaining Maidams are unprotected.